Skip to main content

Digital Natives: The Effects of New Media on the Youth

For my term project, I have decided to do my research on "Digital Natives: The Effects of New Media on the Youth." I will be discussing how the rise of the internet and new media has impacted the way Generation Z see themselves, the world around them, and their place in society. I've always been interested in learning how technology has changed the way we live nowadays, braking many traditions that would have never been thought possible. It's changed the way young folks view our economy, the way we interact with technology itself, and the impact we get to have on the world. I intend to cover their sociological perspective, technological perspective, as well as their anthropological perspectives. I will do so by conducting online research, reading scholarly papers on the topic, as well as current events demonstrating their attitudes for each category. I hope to point out how their feelings and emotions have changed compared to their older generations who did not grow up with technology but were rather exposed to them at a later time in life. Some questions I have in mind while conducting my research include: What are some key differences between each generation? How are young people shaping the ways our institution's function, furthermore, what are their thoughts on those intuitions themselves? What are their hopes and aspirations when they grow up? What are their thoughts on social media and which ones do they spend the most time on? I will also cover their technological usage. In addition to online research and articles, I will be using my personal experiences and accounts. I will be talking with my younger siblings about their experiences and thoughts on the topic. I, the oldest of four, was born in 1998, the start of Gen Z,  while my youngest sibling was born in 2009, on the other end of the spectrum. I will be comparing our answers to the questions. I will be looking at points that we all have in common, as well as areas that we differ. I grew up as technology began to advance at an exponential rate, unlike my younger sibling, who was born into most of the technology that we have today.  In short, this is a very high-level overview of what I plan on covering in my research paper. I'm excited to find out what I uncover during my research.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog: Next New

The next big thing that I see coming in the new media world is a virtual reality networking platform. Virtual reality and augmented reality are both two growing technologies in many aspects of our society. For virtual reality, we put on a set of goggles that will take us to another dimension, or a virtual reality. The way I see this happening is something like that of Animal Crossing on the switch. People will be able to create their own characters, who can look like they do in person or can be designed whatever character of their imagination. Maybe for security purposes, the user will have to take a selfie and the platform would create the virtual character for that person. People will have the ability to meet anyone they want, sort of like our social media now. The main difference is that you will be able to explore the world around you and be able to interact with others. You're no longer in a 2-D platform, you will now be in a 3-D environment. Right now, the technologies are no

Blog: Privacy

Privacy and confidentiality are basically non-existent on social media. It's kind of daunting to think that everything that goes online is on there forever. It's been placed and can never go back, despite, let's say deleting a post. Our privacy concerns are not just limited to what we post but also extend with what the companies are doing with our information. We're finally entering a new period now where people are taking privacy and confidentiality online a lot more seriously, especially after the whole Facebook analytics fiasco a few years ago. It's become more clear to us, the users, of how much information these companies collect from us. The reason why these platforms are free is that the companies themselves sell our data in terms of advertisements. That being said, governments are finally starting to take a stance on this issue and are coming up with stricter regulations for tech companies to follow. Some of them constantly send their users emails with the

Creativity and New Media Post 2

Creativeness can happen in so many ways online. We have different platforms where we can share an idea or thought. From Twitter to Instagram to youtube and now TikTok. All of which have become hubs for new content. Millions of people use these applications daily and with that comes a lot of data as well. Everyone has their own digital footprint on these platforms simply based on the type of content they create. There are two sides to these platforms, content creators, and content consumers, both of which have an impact on each other. Back in high school, I used to have a YouTube channel. This was also the time when I began to have a bigger presence on social media, primarily on Instagram and Twitter. Most people normally just consume other people's content and therefore share their content rather than create unique content. I like having a balance of both as they're both two ways to express yourself online. The primary reason why I started a youtube channel was that I noticed